AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
The AAA Carolinas Foundation for Traffic Safety is a non-profit organization supported by the AAA Carolinas motor club and its members. We are dedicated to providing resources on traffic safety issues. We hope to improve driver behavior and highway safety in the Carolinas.
To learn more about what we’re doing, visit AAAfoundation.org.
We also have special resources for both Teen and Senior drivers!
Distracted driving has emerged as the latest dangerous behind-the-wheel behavior, replacing drunk driving as the foremost traffic safety issue on roadways today. Driver distraction, including texting, is reported to have been involved in 16% of all fatal crashes by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. AAA Carolinas Traffic Safety Foundation has been conducting an educational campaign to heighten awareness of how distracted driving inhibits the ability to drive safely, no matter how confident a driver feels.
Request a free anti-texting magnetic bumper sticker! Available at AAA Car Care Centers and AAA Travel offices or call toll-free 877-282-3682.
Traffic accidents are the number one cause of death for people age 5 to 30. Take control of your habits on the road and drive safely following the recommendations below. For more in-depth information consider enrolling in a AAA Traffic Safety Course.
- Always leave 3 – 4 seconds of following distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Adjust your side mirrors so you can no longer see the side of your car. This will seem awkward at first, but it nearly eliminates blind spots, allowing you to drive more safely.
- Avoid distractions while driving. Distractions can include the radio, passengers, mobile devices or activity on the side of the road. Don’t eat or groom while driving, either.
- Never drive drowsy. If you feel yourself nodding off, pull over and move around to wake your body up before continuing.
- Don’t drink and drive. It is never safe to drive after consuming alcohol.
- Medications can impact your ability to drive. Consult your pharmacist for information on driving safely with all prescription and over-the-counter medications.
Road Conditions Adverse weather, heavy road construction and traffic can significantly impact your route selection, expected driving time and safety. Be sure to check local road conditions before getting on the road. Each state’s Department of Transportation maintains up-to-date information on current road conditions, or you call call 511 for conditions in your area.
AAA Safety Products
Whatever your traffic safety or driver education need, the AAA Traffic Safety department is here to help with traffic safety products. From a school safety patrol program for elementary and middle school kids to materials and programs for teen, adult and senior drivers, we offer quality products with the backing of our nationally recognized organization. Order today and begin using AAA’s products in your classroom, home or business!
School Safety Patrol Program
The AAA School Safety Patrol program has been helping students get to and from school since the 1920’s. Our safety patrol program gives your students a chance to make a difference in their school and community. Students learn leadership and organizational skills, responsibility, and the importance of being a good role model.
Starting your AAA School Safety Patrol program is easy. Visit our School Safety Patrol site for all the policies and practices necessary for a School Safety Patrol. Standard operating procedures in all safety patrols are key for motorists and pedestrians to know what to expect.
Order Patrol Equipment
We have the safety products you need to build and grow a AAA School Safety Patrol in your school. View all safety products here and then just complete and return the Safety Products Order Form. For inquiries about your order, contact the Traffic Safety Department at AAASafetyOrders@aaacarolinas.com, call us at 888-274-4459 or submit questions via the web here.